Home » FAQs

FAQs

Q. When is the next sale?

A. Our next Fall sale is Saturday, August 25, 2018 from 9AM-12PM.    Our next Spring sale is to be determined.

 

Q. So how does this sale work?

A. Our sale works similar to a consignment sale. You hang, tag, and price your items. You then drop off your items to us and we provide the marketplace (location, advertising, and organization) to sell the items. You do not need to stay for the sale. At the end of the sale, we keep 20% of your total sales and send you a check for the remaining 80%. If you volunteer for a three-hour shift, you are permitted to either shop early OR we will keep only 10% and send you a check for the remaining 90%.  If you volunteer for two three-hour shifts, you are permitted to shop early AND you keep 90%.  The $10 registration fee covers the cost of your tags, advertising and other administrative costs involved with running the sale (we are a not-for-profit).

 

Q. How often does this sale happen?

A.  We are excited to now host a bi-annual sale (Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter).  We are still allowing all seasons of clothing at both sales, but we recommend selling warm-weather clothing at the Spring/Summer sale and cold-weather clothing at the Fall/Winter Sale to attract more buyers.

 

Q. Do you price/tag my items?

A. NO.  You are responsible for washing, hanging or bagging, and pricing your items.  Prices are in $1 increments and can be any amount you choose.  TIP: Pricing used items at ¼ of the original price will increase the likelihood of selling.  Also keep in mind what buyers would spend if shopping at other second-hand stores for pricing.

 

Q. Are items hung/packaged together considered one item or multiple?

A. ONE item.  You are welcome to hang multiple shirts, pants, or outfits together so as to be able to sell more items.  Any items that are fastened or packaged together are considered one item and you will need to price as such.

 

Q. What kinds of items can I sell?

A. We welcome children’s clothing, toys, gear, and maternity items.  This includes shoes, strollers, cribs/beds, bedding sets, stuffed animals, sporting equipment, books, games, bikes, electronics, and more.  We will not accept any items that have been recalled, so you will need to check your items to ensure that they have not been recalled. All items must be clean and free of stains, rips, holes, and smells.

 

Q. Do I have to hang all my items?

A. All shirts, pants/shorts, dresses, swimsuits, and coats must be hung on a hanger.  Items like socks, onesies, and hats can be folded neatly and put in a Ziplock bag to be displayed on a table.  Bedding should be hung neatly and pin so that the bedding will not fall off of the hanger.  Putting bedding neatly in a large bag and hanging the bag on a hanger would also be sufficient.  Diaper bags and book bags should also be hung on a hanger.  If in doubt, you can always contact us through the website or call 937.612.2321.

 

Q. Where do I look to see if my items have been recalled?

A. Recalled children’s items can be found by visiting www.cpsc.gov

 

Q. How do I get my items to the sale and when?

A. Each seller can choose a drop off time when completing the Seller Application.  If one of these times does not work for you, we will try our best to make alternative arrangements.  If you choose a time and are then not able to meet that drop off time slot, please contact us immediately at (937) 612-2321.

 

Q. How do I get my items back after the sale?

A. Each seller has been assigned a pick up time after the sale.  When you have been assigned a seller number you will need to pick up your items during that time slot or make alternative arrangements for pick up.  Any items not picked up will be considered donations for the next Pay It Forward Kids sale.  If you need to send someone in your place to pick up your items, you will need to notify us at drop-off so that we know to release your items to someone else.  That individual will need to come at the assigned pick up time.

 

Q. How long does it take to tag my items?

A. This time varies, but can take as little as a few hours to as much as 10 hours.  More experienced sellers will have a “system” that takes less time, but new sellers should expect to spend more time.  Washing clothes ahead of time, having a “go-to” place where you keep all items to be sold, and tagging a few items each day the weeks before the sale are all ways to make preparing for the sale easier.

 

Q. How many items am I allowed to sell?

A. You are permitted to sell up to 100 items (you have been provided 2 extra tags for mistakes).  If you would like to sell more items, extra tags can be purchased for $1 (for a pack of 10).

 

Q. How do I know what prices I should put on my items?

A. Pricing can be one of the most challenging aspects of selling.  You want to price items low enough that they will sell, but high enough that you are able to recuperate some of the cost for the item.  Here are some pricing examples from our experience at other area sales.  Keep in mind that more expensive brands in excellent condition would likely sell at higher prices than less expensive brands.  THESE ARE ONLY EXAMPLES.

  • 1 shirt = $1-$2
  • 2 shirts = $2-$4
  • 1 pant/shorts = $1-$2
  • 2 pant/shorts = $2-$5
  • 1 outfit (top + bottom) = $2-$4
  • Dress clothes = $5-$15
  • Strollers = approx. 1/3 original price ($70-$100 is good for $200 original cost)
  • Brand new items (with tags) should sell for higher than used

 

Q. Who keeps or what is done with the 10% or 20% that I don’t get to keep from the sale of my items?

A. The Pay It Forward Kids Sale Organizers will determine a need in the community to bless (examples may include: support a family facing a financial crisis, adopt a family in need at Christmas, donate to a local organization – Sycamore House, WhereHouse, etc.).

 

Q. When do I get paid for my items that sell during the sale?

A. You can select to receive cash immediately following the sale, or you can choose to receive a check.  Checks will be mailed 1-2 weeks after the sale.